Business Ideas for Veterans
Mission: Veteran Entrepreneurship
We are proud to support US Armed Forces as they pursue starting their own business. The UPS Store is honoring Veterans this year by waiving the $29,950 franchise fee for qualified U.S. Veterans. The first 10 eligible Veterans to qualify between April 29, 2023 and December 29, 2023 will have their franchise fee waived.
Veterans Franchise Give-Away Program Guidelines
Under an incentive program for 2023, the Initial Franchise Fee will be waived in its entirety for the first 10 Veterans who commit to develop a new The UPS Store Traditional Center and submit a complete application packet along with the Initial Application Fee (for a Center under the VetFran Program).
- Only Veterans who are first-time purchasers of The UPS Store Center franchises are eligible for this 2023 incentive program.
- The Veteran’s application package must include the signed letter of intent (LOI), a personal financial statement, other financial verification documents, and an honorable discharge letter (DD214) and initial application fee (IAF) of $3,750.
- Applications will be accepted for this incentive program from the issuance date of The UPS Store franchise disclosure document starting Friday, April 28, 2023 through Friday, December 29, 2023 (Veterans Day). The UPS Store Sales department will record date of application immediately upon receipt.
- To qualify for this incentive program, the Veteran must own at least a 51% interest in the franchise and meet the other guidelines issued for the incentive program (including financial qualifications and booking process deadlines).
- Initial application fee of $7,500 will be applied toward initial start-up costs
- If veteran prospect submits letter of intent and initial application fee but does not meet financial qualifications set forth by The UPS Store, Inc., opts to purchase an existing location or intentionally cancels funding, his/her position will be granted to subsequent veteran prospect.
We reserve the right to modify or discontinue the Program at any time, for any reason. This Program is void where prohibited by law. This information is not an offer of a franchise. Any franchise offer is made only after a Franchise Disclosure Document has been provided.
Franchise Opportunities for Veterans
Almost 90 percent of veterans and active duty service members expect to start a second career after they leave the military. And, after researching what types of business ideas for Veterans are out there, almost two-thirds of those service members envision owning a business as their career path, according to a survey conducted by The UPS Store.
It makes sense that veterans would naturally have the entrepreneurial spirit and drive to succeed required to own a business. During their time in the military, service members hone many of the skills needed to be successful entrepreneur. The UPS Store understands this and is proud to have so many veteran-owned businesses in our franchise system.
Within The UPS Store network, there are 223 veteran franchisees operating 432 The UPS Store locations who have participated in the VetFran program. The VetFran program offers qualified individuals $15,000 off the franchise fee.
Jimmy Ochoa, franchise owner of The UPS Store 7272 in Bensenville, IL, spent 20 years in the Navy. After retiring, he noticed that his community was missing out on all of the services that The UPS Store has to offer. At the height of the pandemic, Ochoa opened his very own The UPS Store in Bensenville. “Everyone was on lock down, no one was out shopping, so it was twice as hard to create market awareness that we were here,” Ochoa said. To combat this difficulty, Ochoa held raffles to give gift cards to other local small businesses. Ochoa attributes his store’s success to promoting happiness and kindness to his customers and creating a welcoming environment that inspires his community to keep coming back.
If you’re a veteran or active service member, we thank you. Your military service helped keep the American dream alive. Now, it’s time to start living your dream of owning your own business. If you’re looking for great business ideas for veterans for your post-military career, check out The UPS Store.
Why Veterans Make Great Franchisees
Veterans are uniquely suited for solving the most pressing challenges life can throw at you – but that’s just part of the reason why they make incredible entrepreneurs and amazing The UPS Store franchise owners. The UPS Store franchise system is a perfect business idea for veterans thanks to the unique abilities that our ideal franchisees have in common with veterans like:
- Working as a team: Veterans know that the success of an organization relies on every member working together to build a team and a business that’s greater than the sum of its parts.
- Executing a plan: The UPS Store provides our franchise owners with a proven business plan and ongoing support, but it’s on them to execute. Which is exactly what our veterans learn to do while in the military.
- Thriving under pressure: Veterans know things don’t always go according to plan. The military provides service members the training and discipline needed to remain calm and thrive under the most pressure-filled situations.
- Working hard to accomplish a goal: Business owners dream of a self-made life, but not all have the commitment and work ethic needed to accomplish their goals like veterans do.
Why The UPS Store is a Great Business Idea for Veterans
We Offer Discounted Franchise Fees for Veterans
We are a proud participant of the International Franchise Association (IFA) VetFran program. As our way of saying thank you for your service to our country, qualifying veterans receive $15,000 off the franchise fee for opening a new The UPS Store location.
Our Dedication to Veterans
In 2021, Entrepreneur Magazine ranked The UPS Store in the top 10 franchises for offering incentives and other programs to help veterans become franchisees. Nearly 300 of our centers are owned and operated by veteran franchisees.
We Provide the Support of an Established Brand, You Enjoy the Benefits of Owning a Business
Here’s what one of our veteran franchisees said about his experience opening his The UPS Store location: