The UPS Store has been ranked in the top five brands for five straight years and this year jumps two spots to rank third overall.
With thousands of franchise opportunities available to business owners it can be difficult to know which ones are truly a worthwhile investment. To help alleviate some of the guesswork, each year the Entrepreneur magazine editors evaluate the options and compile a list of their recommended top 500 brands. The 2021 results are in and The UPS Store has once again been named one of the world’s top franchise brands. Climbing two spots this year, The UPS Store was ranked #3 among all franchise brands and remains #1 in the postal and business services category. This marks the 31st consecutive year the brand has achieved inclusion on this prestigious list and its fifth straight year in the top five overall.
How Entrepreneur Determines the Franchise 500 Ranking
Entrepreneur has been studying the franchise industry for over four decades, perfecting their formula for determining the best franchise business opportunities available. To be included on the list, a franchise brand must meet these requirements.
- Have a minimum of 10 units open and operating
- Have at least one franchise located in North America
- Be actively seeking new franchisees in the U.S. or Canada
Once eligibility is confirmed, each franchisor is scored on more than 150 data points. Those with the highest cumulative scores are then ranked to create the Franchise 500. The five key factors that impact a brand’s score include:
- Costs and fees – franchise fee, total investment, royalty fees
- Size and growth – open and operating units, growth rate, closures
- Support – training times, marketing support, operational support, franchisor infrastructure, financing availability, litigation
- Brand strength – social media presence, system size, years in business, years franchising
- Financial strength and stability – audited financial statements
A Quick Look at The UPS Store
What started out as a convenient alternative to the post office has grown into the world’s largest network of retail shipping, postal and business service centers with nearly 5,000 locations across the country.
The UPS Store provides value-added business services like shipping, packing, printing, shredding, mailboxes, notary services and more to small business owners, corporate "road warriors" and consumers with exceptional customer service.
Here’s a look at what makes The UPS Store one of the best values among franchise brands.
- Lower financial requirements including initial investment and liquid cash requirement than many franchise brands.
- Competitive pricing model with a variety of location types to choose from ranging from traditional to rural and store in store centers.
- Flexible financing options designed specifically for The UPS Store to help ensure every franchisee gets started off on the right foot. Special discounts are also available for veterans.
- Comprehensive four-phase training program combining classroom, online instruction and in-store experiences.
- Ongoing support and guidance including site selection, lease negotiation, grand opening, purchasing co-ops, proprietary software and franchisee intranet platform with IT support, field operations and numerous opportunities to network with fellow franchisees.
- Marketing support including national media, regional campaigns, co-op advertising and ad templates as well as website development, social media, SEO, email marketing and loyalty program assistance.
Why The UPS Store is a Top Franchise Brand
The franchising business model has a long history and is still going strong. Successful brands like The UPS Store enjoy a tremendous amount of brand strength and continue to evolve to meet ever-changing customer needs. In fact, The UPS Store celebrated its 40th anniversary last year and introduced a dynamic and innovative store redesign to revitalize both the brand and the customer experience.
In addition to a nationally renowned brand name, The UPS Store offers franchisees a proven business model with a track record for success. We believe in investing in our franchisees and are dedicated to providing support and guidance every step of the way. Although each location is locally owned and operated, you’re never in business alone. And local ownership means customers can enjoy the high quality, extensive services and capabilities of a national brand while supporting a local business that helps their community thrive.
The UPS Store franchisees are committed to remaining flexible to find ways to always meet the needs of their customers. This level of commitment became more apparent than ever in the face of the coronavirus pandemic. As an essential business, The UPS Store centers remained open to provide critical services their customers rely on every day. From mailbox services for those receiving medicines, checks and other important mail to small business services local owners count on, The UPS Store delivered. Our franchisees adapted quickly to assist small businesses and support their communities.
One The UPS Store Area Franchisee, Gary Williams, Jr. says, “I could not be prouder of just how resilient and determined the franchisees have been to service the community. There were days when it seemed like local rules and regulations and laws were changing on a daily basis. The ability and speed for us as franchisees to adapt and to be there to service the customer is something that has been inspiring to me and keeps all of us going every day.”
He continues, “It seems like overnight we transformed our stores to be able to conduct business while adhering to social distancing – everything from markings on the floor to sneeze guards to in some areas, masks being mandatory. No matter what challenge was in front of us as franchisees, we immediately adapted and did what we needed to do to continue to service the customer and continue to represent The UPS brand.”
In times like these, flexibility is key to providing support that helps small businesses and communities persevere. Together with our franchisees, The UPS Store will continue to reinvent the retail category of business services to keep pace with an ever-changing marketplace. This flexibility, combined with brand strength, world-class training and ongoing support and guidance are what make The UPS Store a top franchise brand.
Ready to join a growing brand dedicated to innovation and convenience that allows you to make a difference in your community? Visit our website to browse The UPS Store franchise opportunities available in markets across the country. For more information, reach out to our franchise development team.