The UPS Store Prospective Franchise Owner Privacy Notice
Effective Date: June 29, 2015
The UPS Store, Inc. (“The UPS Store”) respects your concerns about privacy. This Privacy Notice describes the types of personal information we obtain about prospective franchise owners (“Franchise Owners”) obtained on www.theupsstorefranchise.com and franchise.theupsstore.com (the “Sites”). This Privacy Notice also describes how we may use the information, with whom we may share it, and the measures we take to safeguard the personal information we collect. In addition, we tell you how you can ask us to (i) refrain from sending you marketing email communications, and (ii) answer questions you may have about our privacy practices.
- This Privacy Notice does not apply to our corporate parent, United Parcel Service, Inc., which is subject to its own Privacy Notice that can be found here.
- This Privacy Notice does not apply to the personal information of Franchise Owners obtained outside of the Sites.
- For our Privacy Notice regarding our information practices with respect to The UPS Store’s consumer-facing websites, please visit www.theupsstore.com/privacy-policy.
Select one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
- Information We Obtain
- How We Use The Information We Obtain
- Interest-Based Advertising
- Information We Share
- Your Options
- Non-The UPS Store Places and Services
- How We Protect Personal Information
- Updates To Our Privacy Notice
- How To Contact Us
Information We Obtain
The types of personal information that we may obtain include:
- Individual and business contact information (such as name, company name, physical address, email address, and telephone or fax number)
- Username, password and other credentials used to access The UPS Store products and services
- Marital status
- Information related to employment history
- Financial information such as the amount of money you have to invest in a franchise
- Whether you are a military veteran
- The geographic location of your mobile device if you access our Sites via a mobile device
- Personal information of other individuals that you provide to us, such as a co-applicant
- Other personal information that you may provide to us, such as through your franchise application or in communications you send us.
In addition, when you visit our Sites, we may collect certain information by automated means. The information we collect in this manner may include IP address, unique device identifier, browser characteristics, device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, information on actions taken, and dates and times of activity.
When you visit our Sites, this information may be collected through “cookies” and “web beacons.” A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon” also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages or applications to web servers and may be used to transmit information back to a web server.
Through our automated collection efforts, The UPS Store obtains and stores “clickstream data” to tell us usage patterns. We may link certain data elements we have collected through automated means, such as your browser information, with other information we have obtained about you to let us know, for example, whether you have opened an email we sent to you.
We also may use third-party web analytics services on our Sites, such as those of Google Analytics. These service providers help us analyze how visitors use the Sites. The information obtained for this purpose (including your IP address and other information collected by automated means) will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers. Learn more about opting out of Google Analytics.
Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies or how to restrict or disable certain types of cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of our Sites. Both we and others (such as our advertising networks) may collect personal information about our visitors’ online activities, over time and across third-party websites, when using our Sites.
The providers of third-party apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins on our Sites, such as Facebook “Like” buttons, also may use automated means to collect information regarding your interactions with these features. This information is subject to the privacy policies or notices of these providers.
How We Use The Information We Obtain
We may use the information we obtain to:
- Provide products and services to assist with franchise operations, such as training and marketing
- Respond to requests about The UPS Store franchising opportunities
- Respond to and process applications for The UPS Store franchises
- Respond to requests about hosting opportunities for non-traditional franchise sites
- Respond to realtor and/or broker requests about a potential location for a franchise
- Respond to requests about corporate retail solutions
- Respond to franchisee inquiries
- Communicate with you about products and services we believe may interest you
- Communicate about, and administer your participation in, special events, programs, webinars, surveys, contests, sweepstakes, and other offers or promotions
- Establish and manage your accounts
- Verify your identity
- Obtain background and credit check information
- Send information to your co-applicants, if you provide information about co-applicants
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; determining the effectiveness of our sales, marketing and advertising; analyzing and enhancing our products, services and Sites; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities)
- Perform data analyses (including market research, trend analysis and financial analysis)
- Protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities
- Comply with applicable legal requirements and our policies.
In addition, The UPS Store uses information collected online through cookies, web beacons and other automated means for purposes such as (i) customizing our users’ visits to our Sites, (ii) delivering content (including advertising) tailored to our users’ interests and the manner in which our users browse our Sites, and (iii) managing our business. The UPS Store may supplement data we collect through automated means with information about your location (such as your ZIP or postal code) to provide you with content that may be of interest to you. We also use this information to help diagnose technical and service problems, administer our Sites, identify users of our Sites, and gather demographic information about our users. We use clickstream data to determine usage patterns and how we may tailor our Sites to better meet the needs of our users.
The UPS Store also may use the information we obtain about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
On our Sites, The UPS Store may collect information about your online activities for use in providing you with advertising about products and services tailored to your individual interests. This section of our Privacy Notice provides details and explains how to exercise your choices.
Our Sites are not designed to respond to “do not track” signals from browsers.
Information We Share
The UPS Store does not sell or otherwise share personal information about you, except as described in this Privacy Notice. The UPS Store shares personal information with third parties who perform services on our behalf based on our instructions. These third parties are not authorized by us to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. We also may share information with United Parcel Service, Inc., our affiliates and area franchisees.
Information collected through third-party apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins (such as information obtained through third-party login services or relating to your use of a Facebook “Like” button) is collected directly by the providers of these features. This information is subject to the privacy policies of the providers of the features, and The UPS Store is not responsible for those providers’ information practices.
The UPS Store also may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law, regulation or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena); (ii) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity.The UPS Store reserves the right to transfer any information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation).
You may choose not to receive marketing email communications from us by clicking on the unsubscribe link in our marketing emails or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about how to opt out of ad network interest-based advertising, please visit the consumer opt-out page.
Non-The UPS Store Places and Services
For your convenience and information, the Sites may contain links to non-The UPS Store places that may be operated by companies not affiliated with The UPS Store. These companies may have their own privacy policies or notices, which we strongly suggest you review. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of any non-The UPS Store places or services.
How We Protect Personal Information
The UPS Store maintains administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
Updates To Our Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our personal information practices. The UPS Store will post a prominent notice on our Sites to notify you of any significant changes to our Privacy Notice and indicate at the top of the notice when it was most recently updated.
How To Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, please contact us by email at email@example.com. You also may write to us at:
The UPS Store., Inc.
Attention: Legal Editor
6060 Cornerstone Ct.
West San Diego, CA 92121-3795